Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Erik Tiemens

     Just added some new links for one of my favorite painters, Erik Tiemens.  If you've never heard of him before, you're really missing out on some amazing work.  I first learned of Erik around 2002/2003 when he was a concept designer on Star Wars Episode II (see below).  Since then, I've tried to follow his career and I must say I've been a fan ever since. 
     As you can see, I've dabbled in gouache and I love to use it to sketch with.  Erik has really helped to fuel my interest in continuing to use both gouache and watercolor.  He is able to acheive some remarkable effects combining gouache with various other media, including pens, pastels, ink, & watercolor.  His paintings always seem to have a real sense of history and time, and can look amazingly like oil.  They also evoke a real sense of romantisicm that really sets Erik apart from other painters.
     Erik also teaches workshops about his techniques and methods, his latest one was hosted at the Mendocino Art Center in Mendocino, California (I'd love to be able to attend one).  Please check out both his website at WaterSketch and his blog, Virtual Gouache Land.  You'll be glad you did.

-Tom

I'll leave you with these, enjoy!

Kamino by Erik Tiemens

Gouache & Watercolor Sketch by Erik Tiemens

No comments:

Post a Comment